- UCF Newsroom: Exercisers Help Power Larger, ‘Greener’ Recreation Center
- Central Florida Future: 65,000-square-foot expansion pumps gym
- KnightNews: New “Green” Gym Expansion Officially Opens its Doors to UCF, Public
The Rec & Wellness Center expansion is set to open just over a month from now (January 10, 2011), just in time for the Spring semester. Work on the exterior seems to be nearly complete. Most noticeably since our last update, landscaping is complete and about 30 large palm trees now stand in front of the pool area. A post on the RWC’s Facebook page sums up the expansion nicely:
More cardio space, more weight space, an Outdoor Adventure Center, lap pool, circuit training area, racquetball courts, a Multi-Purpose activity court with plenty of seating for spectators, lots of LCD TV’s, more locker rooms, a new wet classroom and soooo much more! You guys are going to love it.
These photos of the exterior of the building were taken this afternoon. Check out the full size versions by clicking on the images, or check out our flickr page.
Construction crews recently removed a portion of the construction fence in front of UCF’s Rec & Wellness Center expansion. As you can see, the new lap pool has been filled with water, hardscape is underway, and landscaping is soon to be installed. Crews continue to work on the interior finishes in order to complete the project in time for the Spring 2011 semester.
Here are some UCF construction stories you may have missed over the past couple of weeks.
- Performing Arts Center gets standing ovation (CFF)
- UCF plans $50 million expansion of dorms (OS)
- Sneak Peek of the UCF Gym Expansion (KnightNews) – video below:
- VA Officials Tour “Building of Life” (UCF Today)
Officials from the Orlando VA Medical Center at Lake Nona recently toured the UCF College of Medicine.
- Status of the UCF Veterans Memorial Site (National Center for Simulation)
Al Harms gives a construction and funding update of the new Veterans site on Memory Mall.
- Recreation and Wellness Center Closing for Renovations (UCF Today)
The gym will be closed for two weeks while work on the RWC Expansion continues.
- UCF Med School Tour (UCFTV on YouTube)
A new video segment from UCFTV takes a look inside the new UCF College of Medicine facilities (embedded below).
Here are some photos of the RWC expansion project. The glass for the curtainwall is being installed by West Tampa Glass, and you can see the new lap pool in the front of the building.
The much-needed expansion will complete this Fall. Click here to see previous updates on the RWC Expansion.